Cake is everyone’s idea of a good time. ~Nick Malgieri
I’m with Nick: in my mind, cake makes any occasion feel like a celebration. Whether it’s a birthday, wedding, Bar Mitzvah, anniversary, or just Thursday night, cake makes it feel like a party. So, what better way to finish off the Modern Baker Challenge than with cake?
We will be baking from this section for seven months — June through December, 2012 — so there should be plenty of parties, occasions, and Thursday nights to celebrate.
A few things to note:
- There are three corrections to recipes in this section. Note that these recipes have been corrected in the paperbook version of the book.
– Cocoa Génoise: For the cocoa version of the Classic Génoise on page 240, the flour should be 1/3 cup, not 1 cup.
– Fluffy White Icing: The icing for the Devil’s Food Cake on page 253 requires 1 1/4 cups sugar, rather than 1 cup.
- Blueberry Crumb Cake: The crumb topping goes on top of the blueberries after you put them on the cake batter.
- Several of the recipes are used as part of another recepe (for example, the Triple Chocolate Cake is built using the Cocoa Génoise as a base). Feel free to claim both the base recipe and one that utilizes it, but if you do, please blog each one separately.
- There are no specific due dates if you claim a recipe, as long as you post it by the closing date for this section. If you claim a recipe and later realize you won’t be able to post it, just let me know so I can reopen it for someone to claim.
So, start reading the cake techniques at the beginning of the chapter and the decorating ideas at the end, then pick your cakes and claim them by commenting below. Click here to see what has been claimed and what’s still available.